Customize Your Kitchen for this Holiday Season on a BudgetWho wouldn't want a kitchen customized to meet their specific tastes and needs? A complete kitchen renovation can cost tens of thousands of dollars, but you don't have to spend a bundle to achieve a custom effect. A few modest investments can help make your kitchen work well and look great.
Here are ways to affordably customize your kitchen:
Get creative with cabinets
Completely replacing cabinets can be costly, but it's possible to create a custom look with the cabinets you already have. Customization tricks to try:
- Paint cabinets a trendy color, like dark blue. Or, paint one set of cabinets, such as those under an island, a different color.
- Remove the doors from one cupboard to create an open effect where you can display prized showpieces. Further accent the look by painting the back of the cupboard a contrasting color.
- Replace dated or dull hardware with drawer pulls and knobs that speak to your personal design tastes. For example, if you love a vintage look, replace metal hardware with glass or ceramic knobs.
Freshen up the faucet
Cabinet hardware isn't the only "jewelry" in the kitchen. The faucet can also be a design focal point that looks as good as it works. If yours is old, basic or just not to your taste, replacing the kitchen faucet with a newer model that speaks to your style can help affordably reinvent the entire room. Plus, a new faucet can provide functions and features that will make your kitchen more usable.
For example, the Tournant faucet by Kohler combines traditional design with modern industrial elements, so it works well with a variety of kitchen design themes. A three-function, pull-down spray head lets you put the water exactly where you need it, while a special BerrySoft setting is gentle enough for washing fruits and vegetables.
If a more vintage look appeals to you, Kohler has recently added a bridge model faucet to its popular Artifacts line. Reminiscent of turn-of-the-century kitchen and bar faucets, the deck-mounted bridge faucet works with either lever or six-prong handles for temperature controls, and features a dual-function sidespray.
Enliven your lighting
Good light is essential for a kitchen to function well, but it's common for kitchens to have just one overhead light and maybe a pendant or two over a breakfast bar. Replacing dated fixtures with newer ones that suit your personal style is easy, but what can you do if you want more light without the expense of paying someone to install additional wiring?
- Replace a standard ceiling light with track lights. They require no additional wiring and you can position lights along the track to put illumination where you want it.
- Install under-cabinet lights that can easily plug into an existing counter-level electrical outlet.
- Place a swing-arm task lamp over work areas, so you can aim light where you need it most while working. The lamp can easily plug into a wall outlet.
Accessories are the finishing touch of personalization in any room, including the kitchen. However, since the kitchen needs to be high-functioning, look for ways to accessorize that also enhance your kitchen's ability to work for you.
- Every kitchen has small appliances that get regular use, such as toasters, food processors, blenders, etc. If your toaster sits out on the counter, why not turn it into part of the design theme by selecting an appliance in a bright color to match your decor?
- A matching set of potholders or dish towels hung from a hook beneath a cabinet or on the side of a cupboard not only puts a much-needed item close at hand, they can add decorative flare.
- Place a bright, cheerful area rug in front of the sink or prep area. The rug will not only perk up the space, it helps cushion your joints while you stand in one spot working.
- A pot rack above an island provides much-needed storage space for large pots and pans, while adding a homey touch to the kitchen.
Customizing a kitchen doesn't have to be costly or require you to sacrifice any functionality. With a few smart updates, you can cost-effectively create the personalized kitchen of your dreams.MY LISTINGS